Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Mobilize Me: My Week With Royce

Royce


In Chibombo, Zambia, I stayed with Royce, a caregiver in a village. I helped her tend to those in need, and I met many interesting people with great stories to tell. It is amazing how much one person can do with a bike. Imagine, a woman who is the only one to tend to her patients, and has to walk miles every day just to take care of one person. Now give that person a bike. Imagine the difference that bike can make. Now that person can treat as many as ten to twenty people a day.

Day 1

The flight over to the Lusaka Airport in Zambia was nice. Besides the rough landing. I was awoken abruptly by "ground turbulence", which had caused me to spill my drink on my pants. At least I had a nice rest. After getting off the plane, I gathered my bags and found my cab, and then I was off to see Royce in Chibombo. In the cab, I slept more. I had an odd dream in which I went to Royce's village, and after I got out of my cab, I was gunned down by a group of elephants with the faces of Willem Dafoe. It was slightly disturbing, considering that the elephants had the faces of Willem Dafoe, but I just ignored the dream. When we arrived at the village, I was greeted by some happy villagers. I immediately recognised Royce and scurried over to her and introduced myself. Royce led me to her house, and I took a step inside. She welcomed me with a story, a cup of tea, and a warm smile. I was exhausted from the flight; she seemed to notice that, so she led me to a bed. I have to say it wasn't the comfiest thing to sleep on, but I coped with it pretty well.

Day 2

I woke up in the morning feeling relaxed. A beautiful sunrise lay over the plains and horizon, and the air smelled fresh and nice. It had the scent of tea in it, so I figured Royce was already up. I got dressed in a pair of sweats and a t-shirt. I went to the kitchen, and I found Royce brewing tea. She gave me a smile, and showed me over to a table. She gave me some tea, and I took a sip. It was delicious; a nice warm brew with plenty of flavour. I thanked her, and then she cooked me some food. Royce and I set off to help some ill children, and as usual, they were better by the end of the day. On the way back from the village, I was exhausted from all the work. It was tough, but I found the job very interesting. I wonder what it would be like without a bike.


Day 3

The next day is described by one word and one word only. Snake. I woke up with a snake on my leg. It was terrifying. I tried not moving, but it struck my leg. I was in excruciating pain, and Royce immediately came to my room to help me out. I was a bit nauseous from the poison, and I couldn't see very well. I stayed in the rest of the day and kept applying something that Royce gave me. It was a cobra of some sort. I hoped for everything to be well.

Day 4

I woke up the next day sweating and in pain. It was not good; my leg was swollen, and it was red and purple. Royce saw this, and took me to a hospital. I don't remember anything that happened in the hospital. I woke up to people surrounding me. They told me I was in the US, and that I should be fine and make a good recovery. I saw Royce, and I thanked her. Without her, I would've been dead. How much a human can do with a bicycle? A lot.





No comments:

Post a Comment